Saturday, April 21, 2012

Growing Celeriac

I had never grown Celeriac before when in February a member of our group had too many seedlings. At the time I posted a photo of a tiny Celeriac promising to keep you informed regarding its progress. Celeriac is a form of Celery, but not its stalks are eaten, but its swollen root.

This was a photo I took in mid February:


This plant was 8 centimeters high at the time.  Well, things have changed.  I knew Celeriacs like a lot of water, so I kept my seedlings nice and wet and the result now, in mid April, is:


The plant is now about 300mm by 300mm, and, as you can see, the base has become a rosette-shape.  I would say 'the swollen root' will now form half above ground, half below ground level below this rosette.  I will let you know how things are looking in a month or so.

This is one of the great things about being an active member of our group.  We share produce, seedlings, ideas and knowledge.  It makes growing our own food a great hobby AND you find yourself growing plants you never grew before!